Remember Chappie’s chewing gum? We do. They’ve been around for over 30 years just like CFC, which is what inspired us to collect some “did you knows” about the construction industry over the last three decades.
Did you know?
- In 1997 the government published the Green Paper on “Creating an Enabling Environment for Reconstruction, Growth and Development in the Construction Industry”.
- South Africa witnessed a housing boom between 2000 and 2006. The housing boom in the country slowed down as the economy slowed, banks tightened lending conditions and the government implemented measures to limit household indebtedness.
- Gauteng generated the most revenue for the construction industry in 2011, followed by the Western Cape. All other provinces increased their share of the total revenue generated.
- Under the National Infrastructure Plan (NIP) that was adopted in 2012, the government invested R827 billion in infrastructure development.
- The government allocated the largest share of its 2013 budget for education to improve infrastructure and increase accessibility.
- The healthcare buildings category is projected to be the fastest-growing institutional construction category over the forecast period.
- The largest sector in Cape Town’s economy is the financial and business services industry. This is supported by the tourism, retail, construction and property sectors. Most of the leading insurance companies have their head offices in Cape Town.
- 2014 has seen the revival of Cape Town’s construction industry, with an almost 48 percent year-on-year rise in the value of building plans completed between July and September.
Things change over the years but what remains the same is our unwavering commitment to exceptional service and safety. 30 years from now we hope to still be the company leading the way in scaffolding excellence in Cape Town.